Monday, February 4, 2013

January in Malaysia!

This month has been a challenging but rewarding month beginning with saying good-bye to my host brother as he ventured off to Switzerland to study abroad for a year. It was strange watching someone leave for exchange just like my family and friends watched me leave but I was excited for him to get the chance to experience the adventure of studying abroad! 
The rest of the month I spent getting to know new international volunteers from China, Denmark, and Indonesia, visiting small Chinese villages, preparing with my family for Chinese New Year, attending an embassy event for the YES inbound and English Teaching Assistants, learning how to tie a hijab the proper way, and experiencing the Hindu festival of Thaipusam. Thaipusam was definitely one of the most sensory overwhelming experiences in my life thus far. Being surrounded by people in a courtyard of a temple with drums and chanting coming from every direction, incense and smoke burning in the air, elaborate kavadis and costumes, people of all ages carrying heavy milk pots on their heads, piercing and hooking themselves with all sorts of things, and most of all a man going into a trance or "being possessed" right in front of my eyes! It was interesting experience I'll never forget which definitely made me grow in respect for how intensely devoted Hindus truly are.
 I'm extremely excited for the upcoming month to celebrate Chinese New Year with my family, something I've been looking forward to all year! 
Gong xi fa cai!



1 comment:

  1. Hi Teresa
    Wishing you and family a Happy and Prosperous Chinese Water Snake Year 2013
    Gong Xi Fa Cai

    ReplyDelete